Monday, May 18, 2009

Greetings, from the Halfmaster

I suppose I should begin this all with something of an introduction. I am the Halfmaster.

What? Why?

Sigh... Well, it's a long story, but here's the short version.

1. I decided I wanted to be a filmmaker in high school.
2. I worked very hard through college to get into a great, graduate-level film program.
3. I got mono halfway through, and had to drop out.

So I was only able to earn half my masters. Fortunately, this hasn't dampened my spirit... much. I'm soon moving to California and plan to put my knowledge to good use.

One of the most important things I learned in film school was this: it's important to know your art, and to have an opinion about it. This blog is my attempt to motivate myself to keep up on the ins and out of film and the film industry, and to develop a well formed and intelligent opinion about my art form.

In order to do this, I plan to write reviews. The format of these review is likely to vary. I may write about a current movie one week or an older film the next. I may give a star rating when all is said in done, or just do a comparison between two films, or two edits of the same film.

If nothing else, the process should be... educational.

Comments are most welcome, as long as they add to the ongoing discussion of film, and are constructive in nature. Perhaps eventually, this venue will be a place that more people than just myself will get something out of.

In any event, welcome, and I hope you'll enjoy The Halfmaster's Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment